Sunday, November 15, 2009

Essay: My experience of learning english

My experience of learning english at the university has been positive and negative at the same time. To talk about it I have to make two distinctions. First of all, I have a diferent opinion about English 3 and about English 4, so I believe that by distinguishing between this two moments of my english experience I can better explain my opinion. Second of all, I have to make a difference between my own experience and the experience of people who did the four levels; this will aloud me to express the main ideas I have about english class.

I have to say that for me english 3 was horrible. I didn't like to use the blog, it didn't allow me to go into the learning of english because the subjects were very annoying and useless (for example, once we had to write about our favourite song), and because we had to post few times. Also, the teacher was mean, and she use to give us homeworks even during september's hollidays! I hated her. English 4 instead changed my vision about the use of blogs. I realised that to be constantly writing and correcting in english was very useful, even more if it was a topic I didn't know because it forced me to find out the meaning of many words so it increased my vocabulary.

In general terms I think that english at the university it's not good. I had english at school, so I had some background before starting the courses. Now that I'm finishing, I can't say "I speak english". Like I say, english 3 was useless but english 4 was ok; I learned a lot of new words, and there where a lot of talking exercises that were very good . The only problem is that we didn't read antropology texts, which I believe it could be very useful for our career (anyway I understand that it's very dificult to do that, cause it means that the teacher should be an antropologist). But the main problem of english class in general manifest itself when I see some of my classmates that did the four levels, they really didn't learn english very well. Maybe the objectives of each level and the articulation between them, because I feel that some contents repeat themselves.

To conlude I have to say that even if I think that english class at the university it's not achieving his main objective and should be improved, this year has been very positive for my process of learning english. The atmosphere of the class it's very comfortable, we joke a lot in english which it's very funny and we laugh a lot. English 4 made me awake the english knowledge I had inside me, and has motivated me to keep learning more and more. The last thing I have to say it's that our teacher is a real lovely person, very concerned about our learning, always available to answer any doubt we have. She was one of the reasons of my new good disposition to learning english.

1 comment:

  1. Good job, Maia. Thank you very much for the comments.

    One important thing. Don´t make the mistake of repeting the subject like in this example,

    "The atmosphere of the class it's very comfortable..."

    You don´t need "it´s", because you already mentioned "class".

    This is the marking criteria used:

    - Task: All aspects of the task are very well handled. 3 points.

    -Lexis: Good use of lexical resources /Coherence generally well handled.
    2.5 points.

    -Grammar is adequate despite minor errors: 2.5 points


    8 points. Final grade: 6.5.

    Paula

    ReplyDelete